top of page


Getting You the Help You Need

Brown and White Clean Lawyer Business Presentation (4).jpg

Minor Guardianship Lawyer in Renton, Washington

What is Minor Guardianship?

Minor guardianship is a legal arrangement where an adult who is not the child's parent is given the authority and responsibility to care for a minor child. This arrangement is typically established when the child's parents are unable or unwilling to provide proper care.

Why Choose Duncan Law PLLC for Minor Guardianship?

At Duncan Law PLLC, we specialize in navigating the complex legal landscape of minor guardianship in Washington State. Our experienced team is dedicated to ensuring the best interests of the child while providing compassionate support to families during challenging times.

When is Minor Guardianship Necessary?

Minor guardianship may be necessary in various situations, including:

  • Parental incapacity due to illness or injury

  • Substance abuse issues affecting parental ability to care for the child

  • Incarceration of one or both parents

  • Child abuse or neglect

  • Abandonment by parents

  • Death of both parents without a designated guardian

The Minor Guardianship Process in Washington State

Initial Consultation

We begin with a comprehensive consultation to understand your unique situation and determine the best course of action.

Petition Filing

Our team will prepare and file the necessary petition with the appropriate court in Washington State.

Notice and Service

We ensure all required parties are properly notified of the guardianship proceedings.

Court Hearings

Our attorneys will represent you in all court hearings, presenting your case effectively to the judge.

Guardian Ad Litem Appointment

If required, we'll work with the court-appointed guardian ad litem to ensure the child's best interests are represented.

Finalization of Guardianship

Upon court approval, we'll assist in finalizing the guardianship and ensuring you understand your new legal responsibilities.

Types of Minor Guardianship We Handle

  • Full guardianship

  • Limited guardianship

  • Emergency guardianship

  • Standby guardianship

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can become a guardian?

Any adult who is capable of providing proper care for the child can petition to become a guardian. This often includes relatives, family friends, or other concerned individuals.

How long does the guardianship process take?

The timeline can vary depending on the complexity of the case, but typically ranges from 2-6 months.

What are the guardian's responsibilities?

Guardians are responsible for providing for the child's basic needs, including food, shelter, education, and medical care. They also make important decisions regarding the child's upbringing.

Can birth parents visit the child during guardianship?

Visitation rights are determined on a case-by-case basis, considering the child's best interests and the reasons for guardianship.

How is guardianship different from adoption?

Guardianship does not terminate parental rights and can be temporary, while adoption is a permanent legal arrangement that terminates the birth parents' rights.

Why Choose Duncan Law PLLC?

  • Extensive experience in Washington State minor guardianship cases

  • Compassionate and personalized approach to each case

  • Thorough understanding of Washington State guardianship laws

  • Commitment to protecting the best interests of the child

  • Clear communication throughout the legal process

Contact Us for Minor Guardianship Services

If you're considering minor guardianship or have questions about the process, don't hesitate to reach out. Our experienced team at Duncan Law PLLC is here to guide you through every step of the journey.

Phone: 206-237-7714 Website:

Take the first step towards securing a stable and nurturing environment for a child in need. Contact Duncan Law PLLC today for expert minor guardianship services in Washington State.

bottom of page